5.29.2006

Two Movies

I recently took at short break from adding to my book library to get a couple of older movies. I picked up The Mission and Brother Sun Sister Moon, both of which are good to have in your collection. Watching The Mission again was particularly interesting since the aspects of the movie that I identify with have changed considerably since the first time I saw the movie, and even since subsequent viewings. It is a powerful movie that deals in part with the Christian reaction to aggression. I used to identify strongly with De Niro's character in taking up arms to defend the mission. Now I see the better course of action as the one taken by the other priest. Pacifism is a tricky issue and it is something that I want to spend more time studying this summer. That said, I would encourage you to check out these movies and perhaps discussion can ensue.

No comments: