2.24.2006

Christian Service

Our church is focusing on service for the next 4 weeks, and it has already been challenging.
This last week we were studying the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet. Two key parts jump out of that story to me that characterize ultimate service:

1) The act was not deserved by the recipient of it/ it was an act of grace
2) The act was not petitioned for by the recipient/ the servant acted on his own prompting

These two features are extemely challenging to me, since I often ignore or refuse service opportunities for one of those reasons. It is easy to claim the cause of justice in such situations and view something either as deserved by me or not deserved as much by someone else [ie. I was closer to the open parking space]. It is also easy to sit back and wait for someone else to initiate [ie. no one asked me to help out], yet this is not our call.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon-sounds good! Convincting and uncomfortably true... Good to see your blog around. Mine's www.xanga.com/carolinestringfellow if you ever want to stop by. Hi to your wife and baby for us!
Caroline and Jeremy Hedges

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jon, I love it! I've decided recently that there is at least one prayer that God will definitely answer, and right away at that: Pray to be his hands and feet, and then hold on for dear life. Every day, I'm more and more convinced that this life is not my own--which means that the way we pour ourselves out in service for others is going to look completely radical to our culture. Please please read Shane Claiborne's The Irresistible Revolution . . . it's turning my world upside-down!

jon said...

Caroline and Katie,
Thanks for the comments. I will check out the book, and I've already checked out the blog.